M, b. June 24, 1837, d. November 19, 1914
|Father*||Cornelius (Connor) O'Brien1|
|Mother*||Elizabeth (Eliza) White1|
James O'Brien was born on June 24, 1837 in Parish of Anacarty, Annacarty, Donohill, Bally Sheedy, Tipperary. Local records indicate that James O'Brien was born in 1837. No Irish records can be found for the birth of a James O'Brien in 1837. However, using the usual naming conventions James would have used, we can deduce that his father's name may have been Cornelius (first son) and his mother's name Elizabeth (first daughter). Note that his second son and second daughter are named after Ellen's parents, Darby (Jeremiah) and Johanna. One Irish record from March 6, 1833 comes up as a possibility.2,3,4 He was the son of Cornelius (Connor) O'Brien and Elizabeth (Eliza) White.1 James O'Brien married Ellen Day, daughter of Darby Day and Johanna Murnane, on February 9, 1861 in Henry, Marshall County, Illinois. Winesses were Thomas Murnane and Mary Day.5,6 James O'Brien died on November 19, 1914 in Scranton Township, Scranton, Greene County, Iowa, at age 77. The obituary states: "He contracted a severe cold on the evening of Halloween day, and was on the street for the last time on election day. The cold developed into bronchial pneumonia, which was the cause of his death."3 He was buried in Scranton Township Cemetery, Greene County, Iowa. Casket bearers were P. J. Horan, J. B. Kelley, J. W. Holden, Wm. Lawless of Chatsworth, Illinois, Daniel Healy and J. J. Finnegan.7,8
Children of James O'Brien and Ellen Day
- Elizabeth O'Brien+ b. December 8, 1861, d. April 29, 1948
- Johanna O'Brien+ b. September 4, 1863, d. 1928
- Cornelius O'Brien b. August 7, 1864, d. 1932
- Jeremiah W. (Jed) O'Brien b. February, 1867
- John O'Brien b. 1870, d. May 4, 1963
- James O'Brien b. January 18, 1871, d. January 18, 1871
- Mary Ann O'Brien+ b. July 28, 1872, d. February 12, 1943
- Patrick O'Brien b. September 14, 1875
- Thomas James O'Brien+ b. February 7, 1877, d. December 30, 1969
- Margaret Ellen O'Brien+ b. March 1, 1881, d. October 6, 1958
|Charts||Pater Familias O'Dea Descendant Chart (Indented)|
Thomas (Darby) O'Dea Descendant Chart (Indented)
|Last Edited||28 Feb 2023|
- [S162] Roots Ireland and Ancestry.com, online http://www.rootsireland.ie and https://www.ancestry.com/search/, https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/view_detail.php and https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/view_detail.php
- [S11] County Clerk's Office, Vital Records Greene County.
- [S12] [Unknown author], Obituary James O'Brien.
- [S162] Roots Ireland and Ancestry.com, online http://www.rootsireland.ie and https://www.ancestry.com/search/, https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/…*&ml_rpos=31&queryId=20c5e34b15d99a5b1a8b62d9e9126f0f.
- [S10] County Clerk's Office, Vital Records Marshall County.
- [S134] St. Mary Catholic Church, Church Records for St. Mary'Catholic Church.
- [S13] Greene County Genealogical Society, Cemetery Scranton Township, Lot 49.
- [S214] Find a Grave, online http://www.findagrave.com, (accessed 26 January 2021), memorial page for James O'Brien (24 Jun 1837–19 Nov 1914), Find a Grave Memorial no. 23238606, citing Scranton Township Cemetery, Scranton, Greene County, Iowa, USA ; Maintained by Betty (contributor 46527014).
- [S23] August 20, 1870 Census Record, Provo, Utah, Roll: M593_271; Page: 191B; Image: 388; Family History Library Film: 545770.
- [S434] June 15, 1880 Census Record, Provo, Utah, Roll: 234; Page: 285B; Enumeration District: 142.
- [S26] June 5, 1900 Census Record, Provo, Utah, Roll: 433; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 89; FHL microfilm: 1240433.
- [S28] January 1, 1905 Census Record, Provo, Utah, Microfilm of Iowa State Censuses, 1856, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925 as well various special censuses from 1836-1897 obtained from the State Historical Society of Iowa via Heritage Quest.
- [S27] April 29, 1910 Census Record, Provo, Utah, Roll: T624_403; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0107; Image: 1456; FHL microfilm: 1374416.